Thursday, August 21, 2008

Quilt update

So here is what I start with, a gathering of materials and a crayola-erized sketch. Things change as I changed the sizing and the shades but basically, this is it.
















Then I cut all the solid blocks (about 700 of 6", 100 or so 6 1/2")















Then I make my 1/2 blocks with the 61/2" blocks. Sew, cut, press, repeat. And repeat. And repeat.















I have to separate them to make sure somewhere I didn't miscount or anything and that I have all the the different ones I need.















I start lining them up according to pattern placement. This part alone took almost 5 solid hours. It is so much harder when I use multi-colors on the back because I am a little OCD and don't want 2 of the same together. It happens every time despite my best efforts. I think it is my guardian angels way of totally messing with me.















So here is a peek at the finished layout, if you use your imagination, you can almost see the pattern in life like color.



















So next I tackled the batting. Remember that fabulous sister in law of mine mentioning that she had some extra batting? This thing is over 5' across, and started out almost 3' diameter. My arms hurt.















So that became 437 of these, 4" blocks. Now I get to sew like the wind, bullseye!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow, that is an impressive effort! I love my Noah's ark quilt even more, now. The thought and love you put into these is a true gift. Thanks so much for doing them....I cherish mine.

Wendy said...

stunning. absolutely stunning.
you should open an etsy shop!
whimp