Thursday, February 7, 2008

Thursday

Mikey and I went and renewed our contract for our cell phones last night. With that we got new phones. We ended up both getting the motoroker; it has alot of bells and whistles that is going to take me awhile to figure out. I don't do well with reading the book and understanding, I need someone to walk me through it. Gives me a project for today anyway since when Mike gets home he will want me to tell him how to do things. I didn't wanna clean anyway. The kid at the kiosk was very helpful and funny. I am bummed to hear that the mall of the bluffs will be a thing of the past within the next 5 years; all the stores are moving out to strip malls. I really am not looking forward to having to go into Omaha malls, they are insane with people no matter when you go. Just goes to show you, when I was younger, the more people the better. I always thought my mom was so OLD because she didn't love the crowds. Now I am old according to that standard.
I am not sure what to think of this article I found on CNN. I copied a part of it that sums up what is going on...
The controversy erupted last week after the City Council passed an item condemning the Marines' downtown recruiting center on Shattuck Avenue. The item told the U.S. Marines that if its recruiters choose to stay in their rented downtown space "they do so as uninvited and unwelcome guests."
A small band of GOP lawmakers is fighting back with legislation that could eliminate millions of dollars for UC Berkeley, public safety programs, a new ferry service, and the Alice Waters foundation, an organization that provides lunches to public schools


On the one hand, one of the greatest things about this country is the freedom to believe what you want, say what you want, protest what you want. That is one of the basic items that our service members are fighting for across the globe. I think it is wrong for the city council to use their positions to express their personal opinions though. As a form of government, shouldn't they support the military? And if there was a massive emergency (like flood or tornado or earthquake) wouldn't Berkley officials be calling the National Gaurd? And the thing that kills me, a recruiting station just offers an option, service in the armed forces of any branch is still 100% voluntary. I don't understand what the big deal is, why the city council is throwing a fit.

No comments: