Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tuesday boredom

I have been trying new recipes that are less fattening and use more veggies. Trying to be a little more health conscience. I KNOW what I am supposed to be doing (balancing the diet, making a colorful display, varying the menu) all the things that my anal retentive home ec teacher taught us all those years ago. I know that. But here on planet reality, with 5 other members of my family that don't like this, that, those, and everything else, it gets challenging. SO I decided that they were going to eat what I fixed because, hey, what else are they going to eat? With that said, there have been a few shall we say less then thrilling meals around here lately. I did however hit upon one last night that everyone (except Mikey) liked. Dude even asked for seconds, that never happens. I got to thinking, I bet other people would like to try this yumm-o dish too! So here is the recipe




Chicken Alfredo

1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, cubed
6 TBN butter or margarine
1/2 C. milk
1/2 tsn garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (about 1 1/2 C)
2 C frozen broccoli, thawed
2 small zucchini, julienned
1/2 C julienned sweet red pepper
6 oz fettuccine, cooked and drained

In a skillet over low heat, melt cream cheese and butter; stir until smooth. Add milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken, broccoli, zucchini and red pepper. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. Reduce heat, cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Serve over fettuccine. YIELD: 4-6 servings


I doubled everything except the red pepper, we aren't big pepper fans. It was good and could very easily be adapted to whatever tastes you prefer. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Thanks, I think I will try that. I am back on Atkins. But Steve can have pasta.