Friday, February 13, 2009

The best

I moved out of my mom's house and into my very own apartment when I was 17. I was thrilled and scared at the same time. I was smart enough to know that I was really stupid and needed help with cooking since I hadn't cooked anything harder then an egg the entire time I lived at home. Baking I could do so I had the insight to buy a cookbook. The one that caught my eye was

BETTY CROCKER'S COOKBOOK The foolproof guide for every cook . ISBN: 0671850393






I love this book, I call it my idiots cookbook because it is geared to someone unfamiliar with the kitchen (say a 17 year old on her own?!). I have used this one over and over (this is where my chocolate chip cookie recipe comes from), it has a lot of info besides just recipes: equivilents, how to set a table, how to cook in a microwave, guides for grilling, pictures of spices and herbs and what they are used for, table for the food groups (what makes a serving, how many per day etc), how to store food, you guys get the idea. I just looked it up, it's like $2 on http://www.alibris.com/ . One of my favorite recipes I shared with Whimp and I thought I would share with Ya'll too.


CHICKEN POT PIE


1 pkg frozen peas and carrots
1/3 c butter or margerine
1/3 c all purpose flour
1/3 c chopped onion
1/2 teas. salt
1/4 teas pepper
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
2/3 c milk
2 1/2 -3 c cut up cooked chicken or turkey
pastry for two 9" crusts *


Rinse frozen peas and carrots in cold water to seperate; drain. Heat margarine in 2 quart saucepan over meduim heat until melted. Stir in flour,onion,salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute, stir in chicken and vegtables.
Heat oven to 425 degree. Prepare pastry. Roll two thirds of pastry into 13" square ease into ungreased square pan, 9x9x2". Pour chicken mixture into pastry lined pan. Roll remaining pastry into 11 inch square, cut out designs with cookie cutter, place square over filling. Turn edges under and flute. Bake about 35 minutes or util golden brown.


Pastry for two 9" crusts
2/3 cup plus 2 TBSN shortening or 2/3 c lard
2 c all purpose flour **
1 teas salt
7 to 8 TBSN cold water

Cut shortening into flour and salt until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time. tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl (1-2 teaspoons can be added if neccessary), gather into ball.



** if using self-rising flour, omit salt. pie crusts made with self rising flour differ in texture and flavor from those made with all purpose flour.



This is the basics, I tweaked it, I boil a whole chicken then strip the bones and use the broth from that, I use frozen mixed veggies and store bought crust. I also don't usually do a bottom crust and double the batch to use a 9x13 pan to feed us all.

No comments: