Friday, April 11, 2008

Some things...

My sister in law recently asked me why I made the cancer ribbon quilt, if I knew someone that had it. I made it for my friend Shawna who is a fundraiser extraordinaire. She is a committee member for her local RELAY FOR LIFE( http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?fr_id=5818&pg=entry ) and works very hard to beat the previous years goals every year. We have had a lot of luck raffling quilts that I have made up here so I thought I would share. I designed it with RELAY FOR LIFE in mind.
Now to answer the other part, I have been fortunate in that cancer has touched my life peripherally. My grandfather, PK, ended up passing away because by the time they found it, it was in all his major organs (I was in another country). My bestest friend from elementary school, Brandy, had cancer in her sinus' when we were 16 (I was in another state by that time). Make a wish granted her a wish and everything but she ended up beating it and now has 2 kids. A guy that used to follow me around, Greg, wrote me in high school (again another state) that he had it somewhere ( I don't remember where but he ended up beating it too). My mother's husband, Art,(yeah, enough said about him) had Leukemia. A lady from our town, Susie, had stomach cancer and lost her battle last year leaving 3 small children. And a close friend of Mike's had a daughter, An Marie, that lost her battle at age 6. I didn't get a chance to know her very well but it is heartbreaking all the same. I have been very blessed to not have a closer knowledge of it and I support fully anyone who will take the time to raise funds to try to find a cure.
In other news, our friend Snatch has left the country. Mike is really bummed and worried, he is like the little brother that Mikey never had. I am going to be putting a box together for him soon, just have to decide what to send.
Kids are all relatively unexciting this week, other then 411 had her first soccer game. It is fun to watch these kids, they are starting to get the ideas of passing and teamwork. She is a goalie helper, doesn't have to run much which is a good thing.
The next quilt I am planning will have a luau theme for the party at Chelle and Jason's. I am thinking tiki maybe..........

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have no idea how wonderfully well-received your surprise quilt has been! Everyone is just fawning over it.
At our event, we will have about 100 Cancer Survivors and some of them will be still undergoing treatment. It will be an honor to present this amazing gift to one of them.