Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Another trip to the ER

I swear Mr is trying to turn me completely white headed. He woke up again with the spasmodic croup, Mikey had to take him to the ER. For those of you that don't know what I am talking about, Mr woke up and was struggling to breath, chest caving in with each breath, and no cough. That is what threw me the first time it happened, it was like he was having a severe allergic reaction with only part of the symptoms. I always thought croup was just a nasty sounding,relatively harmless barking cough. You put them in steam for awhile, you are good to go. Oh hell no, couldn;t be that simple.

Moderate to severe croup: In the most serious cases, a child may have so much difficulty breathing that he/she is not getting enough oxygen into the blood. In this situation, the child will need to go to the hospital. Signs that a child with croup needs immediate medical attention include:
Stridor that is getting louder with each breath
Inability to speak because of lack of breath
Labored and or rapid breathing
Pale or bluish mouth or fingernails
Stridor at rest
Drooling
Inability to eat or drink enough
Although there are no specific medications for croup, steroid injections and adrenaline-like inhaled preparations are used to help children with moderate to severe croup. These medications act to decrease the swelling of the upper airway. Some recent studies have suggested that administration of inhaled steroids by mask may also help, but this is still controversial.

and my favorite part,

spasmodic croup may begin suddenly without any preceding cold symptoms. Unlike viral croup, spasmodic croup usually recurs

Yep, I am holding on to the nebulizer they sent home the first time, a month ago, for as long as I can. Thank God I still had all the treatment packets and stuff. I feel bad for Mikey, he has been up since 1:30 and is going to work as soon as he gets home from the ER. I'll keep ya posted.

No comments: