Sunday, April 1, 2007

A couple of notes and rants

My great niece, Kynnedi, had double cochlear implant surgery last year. Her parents had to pay something like $45,000 after the insurance because it would only pay for one. The surgery went well and she can hear now (found out she does NOT like the car wash, too much noise)and is doing great. What I didn't realize is that they had to borrow the last $12,000 and have been paying it back as quickly as they can. They are a young couple and mom had to quit her job to stay at home with Kynnedi because of all the doctors visits (and for awhile the lil thing wasn't allowed outside)so it is taking awhile. Anyway, yesterday, I got to help at a derby raffle for her. I didn't understand exactly what that was until I got there so I will explain... Kynnedi's dad makes demolition derby cars, usually for himself to wreck :). He does a damn fine job: usually when he competes he takes first or second place, these cars are strong. Yesterday, in Lincoln, Ne, they had a HUGE demo derby called Husker Havoc. We are talking like 80+ cars. Jake built a car to be raffled off to run in the main event. For those unfamiliar, you usually run in a heat and then if you get through that you can go to the main. most drivers never make it out of the first heat so starting in the main is a Very big deal. So we were selling the raffle tickets for $10 a piece for a chance to drive this car. I will admit, I was skeptical mainly because I didn't realize what a HUGE following derbys have. I was quickly shown the light when there were at least three people that dropped a hundred dollar bill to get 10 tickets a piece. One guy even wanted 13. and there were 2 that had driven down from Rock Springs Wyoming to come to this thing. And there were 3 very sweet ladies that just donated money to help out. I had a lot of fun, and I got a cool shirt. :) I will have to update later because I have no idea how much they ended up with but I am guessing it was a damn good fundraiser for them.

ok, now the rant. STUPID SHOULD HURT. I am learning whole new levels of patience with idiocy. I got a call last night telling me I HAVE to do something from someone I don't particularly like. Now see that is the one way to guarantee that I won't do something. If it had been phrased as a question it would be a totally different thing. But this woman is too stupid to realize if you want something, you have to use tact. AARRGGHHH

I want to comment on the new style for teens looking like maternity shirts. YUCKO!! I can only hope that this fad fades soon.

I am looking forward to the next sister breakfast, and not just cuz it's mine , I really enjoy the time out to spend with other grown women. Even if it is for a couple of hours (although it very rarely is that), it is nice to not hear MOOMMMMM and to eat somewhere without a drivethru. And I love the gifts, giving and getting. I don't really have that opportunity to shop for someone who appreciates the thought behind the gift very often. It is so cool when you make or buy something and the person you are doing it for is truly appreciative. My kids and husband don't really get that whole thing so it is nice for my ego. I always feel guilty when it comes time to send my list out because it seems 3 times longer then anyone elses. But to be fair, alot of my list is dvds, I am a movie freak. And I seem to be more of a pack rat then the others.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I heard that they got $6,700. Sounds good to me. I hope it helps get that financial worry off of them. Cindy