Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Untitled hodge-podge


this is the bottom 5 rows of the quilt. I got it started and then got distracted. It might get some attention today, I am not sure what I am doing. I have to get groceries, get my tire fixed, and run some other errands but I am going to try.
We went to parent teacher conferences last night. It went just like we expected, Mr is his father all over again. His dad used to tell me a story of when he was in Kindergarten, they would drop him off at school and before they pulled in the driveway at home, he was waiting for them on the doorstep. He would run home as soon as the car started to turn the corner. Little stink butt. Well, now we have Mr and that isn't an option since we live so far away but he lets his disinterest be known. I wish I could invent a way to make a child interested in school. I would make millions!
Bubba's went as expected too. SIGH. He is very smart, his teacher even used the word brilliant, but he doesn't want to take the time to do things the way the instructions are given. He won't show his work in math or write complete sentences. He reminds me of my high school Chemistry teacher, the man was amazing smart but couldn't put together a complete sentence because his mind kept going off on all these sidebars that he knew. It made it very difficult to sit through his class. The teacher asked us for strategies for dealing with Bubba and getting him to turn in his work, do it the right way and basically be more responsible. I wanted to tell her, when you figure it out, let me know. He is one of those kids that you have to be right on top of him for him to do something, not because he can't focus, just because if he doesn't wanna do it, he isn't going to. I am kinda concerned about the coming years, it is only going to get harder.
411's teacher really likes her and is very pleased with her. That was really refreshing to hear. She loves attention and is very competitive, so when Bubba gets good grades, she is going to do her best to get better. And she is. I pay the kids for their grades on their report cards. Only at quarter report cards though, mid terms make it too often. I give $1 for A's, $.50 for B's, and nothing for C's. But if there is a D, they owe me $.50 and F's cost them a dollar a piece (and grounding but that is another story). 411 gets so excited about her report card, she looked at it and told me "that's gonna cost you $8.50 Mom!". I am happy to pay it.
My mom wants me to come help her clean her basement. I am going to but I am not looking forward to it. There are spiders, mice, possibly snakes, not something groovy. But I will do it cuz she is my mom and doesn't ask me for much. I don't have to enjoy it though.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Mike: Takes after his dad, he used to run to his grandparents every day and hide under the bed. Never mind the school was across the street and the teacher walked over to get him every day.

Bubba not showing his math work: This is interesting. I went to grade school with a kid that could work COLUMNS of numbers in his head as fast as the teacher wrote them on the board. The answers were correct, she stopped REQUIRING his work to be shown. Maybe the teacher needs her/his attitude adjusted. When I went to Tom's funeral, his co-workers stood up to share with us stories about meetings where Tom would give them answers to sales quotas, percentages, etc. while they all scrambled for calculators. Seriously, if he can get the answer in his head, why does he have to write it out? Maybe his methodology used to get to the end result isn't the same,but it gets him to the end result just the same.

411: I am not surprised her teacher loves her, she is very personable and outgoing. I love her, too!!!

Celeste not mentioned? Is it because she is academically brilliant? I thought so.

Cindy said...

BTW, cool quilt.