Thursday, May 24, 2007

I need to rant

Let me preface this by saying, I know I should have paid more attention. BUT, I am PISSED OFF!! I have just found out that my loving daughter, who was on the B honor roll last semester and when I checked in March, hasn't turned in an assignment since April 25 in most of her classes. Now keep in mind, she had math,science,social studies,english, vocal and pe. She is down to 2 d's, a C, and one b. But that is before they average in the 6-8 assignments per class that she didn't do. I am really mad at her but I am also frustrated with her teachers because you would think they would notice when a student hasn't turned in an assignment for over a month. And maybe say something, like hey, what is going on with her? Her school does have where you can check on the kids progress and I do periodically but I guess I should have more often. I do not know what to do with her. She is going to see her dad's side of the family tomorrow and will be back in July. I can't think of anything to get through to her. When I asked her what the hell was going on that she wouldn't do her homework and then lie to me about it, she just says I DON"T KNOW. I loath those words. I have a feeling in my tummy that this is a very important battle I am waging with her, more then just her grades at stake, and I have no idea what my strategy is. She tells me that she forgot and when I asked her "six assignments in a row?" she just shrugs. We have always emphasized the importance of education and for her to just thumb her nose at it, AARRGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Deanne said...

Maybe it's time to get some outside help like a counselor or something. She's obviously got somthing bothering her and she is refusing to talk to you so maybe some one on one time with someone else will do the trick.
Love ya.
Deanne

Wendy said...

how about her medicine..i would try putting her back on that. She could also be depressed. I would try the counselor. Something is up..i would also look into trying a different school for her OR holding her back a year, to get away from the class she is in. She will have to repeat any classes she has an F in. It might be the best thing for her.
I also know a mother I scrap with took EVERYTHING (except the bed) out of her teen daughters room. Her daughter had to earn the items back. She had to get her grades up, her attitude toward people needed to change, and she had to see her counselor without throwing a fit. It seems to have worked.
whimp

Wendy said...

also, those teachers could have asked her about it, but unfortunately, her attitude could have prevented any positive reinforcement from the teachers. This is junior high school, b. They are not going to baby her...if she doesn't do the work..she fails. Simple as that. Yes, they should have contacted you when it started to get extreme..but again..the whole point of this stage in life, is to make them responsible. She has to take responsibility for her actions. It is up to her what road in life she takes. I would find a nice punishment (like NO cousins visiting from kansas, no phone for the summer) to help reinforce the rules. Something needs to happen so she understands you mean business. I think this is past the talking to her stage. Just my 2 cents (ok..more like 5).
whimp

Cindy said...

I have always found that people give advice very easily when they are not the ones that have to actually dish out the punishment or whatever. However, in this situation, I can tell you, we have been there. Isaac is a very intelligent person. I wanted to dole out strict punishment to him, but his father decided a more laid back approach was in order. So, he didn't do his assignments, got bad grades, got no scholarships, and went off to college to take that lapsadaisical attitude with him. here he is back home and not in college working at McDonald's. I think that we should have done it my way and taken all his things away that were occupying his time. Those things made it so he had no desire to do his homework. That is all he had to do, his only job. His sister, on the other hand worked, got good grades, studied and had a social life. Every A she got she earned. He got them the easy way, WHEN he did the coursework and turned it in.