Thursday, May 10, 2007

Pizza anyone?

I am not sure if ya'll have heard this story, but there was a man, Phillip Workman, in Nashville that was executed and his last meal request was to have a pizza delivered to any homeless person in Nashville. The prison authorities refused to honor the request saying they weren't in the charity business. Well, I guess that pissed a couple of people off because the local homeless shelter had 150 pizza's delivered and a youth center had 17 dropped off. I don't' understand why the prison officials took the stance they did, I suppose they have their reasons but I do think it is kind of cool that so many people took up the act of kindness. It does happen once in awhile.
I remember when I was younger and there was a movie quote I never understood. "I have always relied on the kindness of strangers" It never made sense to me because all I can remember is being told strangers=danger. I think it is a sad commentary on what our society has become that our children are being raised to be scared of everyone that isn't a direct relative. I freely agree that it is necessary. And that, my friends, is even sadder. There are a lot of big hearted, generous, wonderful people out there and it is really refreshing to be reminded of that.

No comments: