Monday, May 7, 2007

Stupid should hurt

I mean seriously, there should be a special kind of shock that your brain emits whenever you do something so beyond ridiculous that all a normal person can do is shake their head. Case in point, Munchkin went home 3 weeks ago, I got a call this morning. Her mother is complaining that I kept the clothes that I bought for the baby with the money that the state paid me. I am just astounded at that considering how many times the woman kept clothes and bottles that I sent with the baby. To be honest, I only bought one or two outfits, the rest were given to me to have on hand in case I am given another baby with nothing. And besides all that, the baby has outgrown anything anyway. I returned every thing the mom ever sent here for the baby and a few extra outfits and she is still complaining. I am just totally dumbstruck at the (I don't even know the word here) of this woman. So tell me, what do you guys think? Is the mom right? Should I send everything I had at the time Munchkin was here? Even though it doesn't fit, just because she was in my care and I received money for her care? Am I being petty in thinking the mom should figure out how to take care of her baby without coming back to me? I seriously can not be objective here and would appreciate feedback.......

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Um, no, you don't have to give her the stuff you purchased. In my mind, it is equivelant to child support. You don't have to justify what you spent the money on. What does the state say?

Brandy said...

Her case worker basically said, you work it out. So that is what I am trying to do, I gave the mom everything she provided and a few outfits that fit the baby. I don't think there is a precedence for this.

Deanne said...

I don't think you need to return anything either. Most of the clothing that you received were gifts from people given with the intent of you having a stock of clothing on hand for future placements. Have these people forgotten that when munchkin arrived they provided only a few outfits and no bottles etc. You had to provide these items because you had to wait like 30 days before you received any assistance. Are these people going to reimburse you for the money you spent out of your pocket to provide the care they couldn't? I realize that this is all part of being a foster parent and these are the problems you take on when you made the decision to become a foster parent but under the circumstances I think you need to take a stand on this one.

Cindy said...

I do not want you to give her the clothes I Purchased. They were a gift to you for future placements. Not for her to take home. I also want you to keep the diaper bag. Those items were for your future use. Besides, she shouldn't keep what isn't hers.

Unknown said...

It's a classic example of the "gimmees" that people get once they've begun receiving all kinds of welfare. They begin to believe that the world owes them a living and they start expecting more and more--rather than doing things to make themselves more independant.
Those items at your house are YOUR belongings to be used for this honorable work you're doing.

Cindy said...

What Shawna said, you go girl!